Dr. H. Lynn Sheller, then President of Fullerton College, founded the Fullerton College Foundation in 1959 as a nonprofit organization.
To many, Dr. Sheller was the guiding hand of the Foundation and spent much of his time developing personal contacts with faculty, friends and community members who shared his enthusiasm in supporting the educational goals of Fullerton College students. Even after his retirement in 1969, Dr. Sheller frequently returned to campus for Foundation business until his death in 1984. Because of his commitment to better serve the students of Fullerton College, students today continue to benefit from the numerous endowed scholarships that he helped to establish.
In 1959, two donations of $500.00 each were the beginnings of such scholarships. Ten years later, the Foundation received a bequest of $304,000.00 from one of two sisters, Fay Reynolds, who left the money to the college in honor of her sister Lena Reynolds, a former math teacher at Fullerton College.
Some years later, in 1987, Joel Hail, a former physics instructor, willed his estate to Fullerton College. The $300,000 gift was used to create an endowment fund for students with temporary financial needs as well as a scholarship for student's studying physical science.
Through bequests, gifts, individual and corporate donations, the Foundation currently has over 270 scholarship funds, each with a minimum principal balance of $2,500.00
Today, Fullerton College Foundation, Inc. exists to promote Fullerton College and enhance the lives of its students by raising and accepting resources for scholarships, grants, programmatic and institutional support. Funding for our scholarship program is made possible by donations from individuals, businesses, corporations and private foundations. In keeping with the college's focus on preparing students to become successful learners, the Foundation is proud to offer an endowed scholarship program that enables students in nearly every field of study to achieve their educational goals.
Click here to learn more about the Foundation
On Sept. 29, 2012 the Fullerton College Foundation and Fullerton College celebrated the fifty-third anniversary of the Foundation with the dedication of two new Donor Recognition Walls located in the foyer of the college’s Library and Learning Center along with a tribute to former college president Dr. H. Lynn Sheller. The Foundation was honored to have Paula Sheller Adams and her husband Parks in attendance at the event. Paula Sheller Adams is the daughter of Dr. H Lynn Sheller, President of Fullerton College from 1950 until his retirement in 1969. Dr. Sheller was also the founder of the Fullerton College Foundation in 1959.
For fifty-seven years, the Fullerton College Foundation has been serving the needs of Fullerton College Students. During this time, approximately 12,500 Fullerton College students were awarded more than five million dollars in scholarships, loans and emergency grants. This past May, 325 students received Foundation scholarships. The two recognition walls are dedicated to the donors who have made it possible for these students to succeed in their educational goals. Chuck Allen, Executive Director of the Foundation said that “without the generous support of our local community donors we wouldn’t be able to do the work that we do in helping students stay in school and achieve their educational goals.” Dr. Rajen Vurdien, President of Fullerton College said that “partnerships between the Fullerton College Foundation and its donors ensure that we continue to offer our students a first-rate and well-rounded educational experience.” Fullerton College is one of the oldest California Community Colleges and the top three of transfer institutions in the state. It is also one of the largest providers of workplace training in Orange County.
Learn more about the Foundation - click here.
The donors and directors of the Foundation are very proud of the Foundation's accomplishments and look forward to continuing Dr. Sheller's legacy of service to the students of Fullerton College for many more years.
President Sheller's speech of 1969
News clipping provided by his family.